Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DJ Rutledge Takes Requests

I've been asked to share a couple of recipes. Now, I don't just do this for anyone. It takes a special person for me to actually sit down and think about my recipe and share it upon request.  (We are ignoring the fact that I write a blog in which I do just that, but I digress)  A very special person. Or family. Or friends. Or friends on Facebook. Or co-workers. Hell, who am I kidding. If you are cute and smile at me, I'll spill my guts . The point I'm trying to make here is that I was specifically asked to share my Baked Beans and Chicken Enchilada recipes by some special folks and so enjoy.  Spoiled brats.

Baked Beans

4 Cans Pork N Beans ( don't use those grillin beans with the fancy picture on the can...that's cheating!)
6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon ( you can use those real bacon pieces that come in a bag or jar if you like.  no that's not cheating, don't question me, it's just not)
2 Tbs mustard 
3 Tbs ketchup
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Maple Syrup
1/4 chopped onion
Salt and Pepper


In a glass baking dish add the beans, onions, mustard and ketchup.  I pick out the fatty pieces in the beans because I think they are weird and the texture kills me. If you like it, more power to ya.  Stir. Next add the brown sugar, bacon and syrup.  Stir.  This is the point where I take a taste to see if it's too sweet or not sweet enough.  If you like really sweet baked beans add some more sugar.  If it's too sweet for your liking, then add a bit more mustard.  Add salt and pepper and stir one last time.  Place in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Done.  Quick and dirty and full of awesomeness. 

Feeling lazy and figure that since you turned the oven on and chopped things you shouldn't be expected to actually cook anything else? Add some sliced hot dogs or sausage to it and you have a meal.  Let them argue with that. 

Now as we all know I'm a fan of the hot and spicy.  When I make this for my own indulgence I use habanero mustard and chipotle ketchup.  I will also add some chopped jalapenos when I'm feeling feisty, however I will warn you, it is pretty damn spicy. Good but spicy.   



Chicken Enchiladas  ( Mexican again--go Figure)

1 pound Shredded or Cubed Cooked Chicken
8-10 Corn Tortillas Softened ( refer to Beef Enchiladas Recipe)
2- 8 oz containers of Sour Cream 
1/2 package of Cream Cheese
2 Cans Green Enchilada Sauce
1/2 Chopped Onion ( dice if you must, but cmon)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder


Preheat the oven to 350. 

In a frying pan on medium heat add the onion and saute.  I don't like to use oil when I saute, so I just spray the pan prior with cooking spray and go.  Once the onions are soft, add your chicken, garlic powder and chili powder.  Stir everything around a few times and then get ready for the good stuff.   

Add the cream cheese to the chicken and onion in the pan.  It should start to melt pretty quickly, however it will be thick and everything will stick to it. Which of course is good, because cream cheese and anything is heaven.  After the cheese has started to melt add the sour cream and one can of enchilada sauce.  Start stirring.  You want the cream cheese to melt, so you will need to make sure you stir everything really well.  Once everything is mixed into a pan of greatness, let the mixture bubble. This will happen fairly quickly, so you can turn the heat down a bit. Make sure everything gets warm.  You don't want it to get too thick, however you need to make sure that everything cooks together.  Once the mixture starts bubbling, remove it from the heat. 

In a glass baking dish take a spoonful of the mixture and place it in the bottom.  You want to spread it around the dish to make sure that your tortillas don't stick.  You can use cooking spray again if you want, but that's not as much fun.  Live a little.   

Take a softened corn tortilla ( I will normally soften mine while the chicken filling is cooking and I'm waiting for it to bubble) and place it on a plate.  Into the tortilla  spoon a tablespoon or more of the filling. Roll it up and place into a glass baking dish seam side down.  Repeat for the rest of the tortillas or until you run out of room in your baking dish and don't feel like messing up another one. 

This is where the second can of enchilada sauce and sour cream comes into play.  If you have quite a bit of the filling left over pour it over the top of your enchiladas.  It tastes good and you don't want to waste it.  Or you can save it and eat it with chips while you are waiting for the enchiladas to cook. Your call.  Take the second can of enchilada sauce and mix it with the second container of sour cream and then pour over your enchiladas. 

Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  You are just wanting to heat up the sauce on top of the enchiladas so anything longer and you will have rubbery tortillas. 

Serve with your favorite sides and oh, they are so better the next day. I will sometimes make them up the night before and cook them the next day. 

Never said these were healthy recipes. I just stated they were pretty dang good recipes. Life is short people, eat what you like. In moderation. Or if you are having a bad day, screw everything and make both for dinner. 

So here you go Nick, Macey, Sam , Hurricane and the other people of my world who requested I share.  Hope you are happy and I do expect presents...




   



No comments:

Post a Comment