Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Huevos Goodness

I love Mexican food, I love breakfast, ergo, I love Huevos Rancheros. It has eggs. It has cheese. It has beans. It has all the yummy stuff that makes me smile. There are 100s of varieties, so I'm providing one of the easiest versions. Get creative with it, you can't go wrong. Trust me. You'll have new best friends if you make them this dish. Your kids will clean their rooms, your significant other will do their own laundry. You will become the most awesome person in the world. Well, at least till they finish eating. Go ahead, try it.

Huevos Rancheros

8 eggs
8 Corn Tortillas
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1 Can Refried Black Beans ( you want the flavor of black beans, trust me)
Favorite Salsa
Shredded Cheese


1.Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot, soften your tortillas. Just a few seconds on each side and remove. Place them on a plate layered with napkins. You want to soak up some of the grease.

2. Place two tortillas on each plate. It's okay if they overlap.

3. Cover each tortilla with the refried beans ( I suggest warming them up ahead of time)

4. Crack two eggs into your pan with the oil. You are wanting to make the eggs over easy or over medium. If you don't like fried eggs you can scramble them, but cmon live a little. Try them fried. I don't like runny yolk and over medium works perfectly for me.

5. Place two eggs on top of the tortillas.

6. Cover the tortillas with your favorite salsa.

7. At this point you can add anything else you like to the dish. I like to add sliced jalapenos, black olives or green chilies.

8. Cover. And I mean COVER the tortillas with shredded cheese. Cheese makes everything better.

9. To melt the cheese you can place it in the microwave for a few seconds. You don't want the tortillas to get chewy. I like to use heavy plates and put mine in the oven on broil to get everything bubbly and melty and heavenly.

10. You can serve topped with sour cream and/or guacamole.

11. Enjoy the goodness.


Easy. Cheesy. Yummyness.



You can make this with flour tortillas, pinto beans, or whole black beans if you prefer. I've made this with tostada shells when I was in a big hurry. Good, but more crunchy than I wanted. Use any type of shredded cheese you want. Go crazy with it. You cannot mess this dish up.

No comments:

Post a Comment